Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dilli ka khoon-Main bhi Schumi

As a true blue punjabi from dilli, i often do things on the road, that my friends from other cities cant fathom.

For instance, "jumping traffic signals"- The red light is usually and the amber light is always nothing but a directive to my brain to step up harder on the accelarator. If i cd help it, i would even cock a snook at the policeman at the junction.

"No parking signs" are things that i am usually oblivious to. These are meant for those who understand Written english. I do read english, but the brain just does not comprehend and respond to some words. "No Parking" is one of them. To me, usually, it appears like an open invitation to park my vehicle right in front of it so that atleast others cant see it at all and be saved from the inconvenience of searching for other locations to park or having to walk longer after parking.

"Zebra crossings" is one more such unfathomable sign - in fact, i use the parallel white lines as a test for my driving skills where i try and steer the vehicle such that the wheels dont touch the white painted surface at all. Pedestrians scarcely understand this and they always seem to be coming in for a closer look.

"No turn" as a sign is a complete waste. Have never understood why i should take the entire 2 km extra stretch to turn around and come back when i can simply turn where i want to. so if there is just a traffic light and no policeman, kiski majaal ke mujhe rok le!!

In general, like every punjabi, in anycase, i am a born schumi. its just that the cars at my disposal dont always respond like Ferraris. Also, there are just too many red lights on the way and too many people milling around.

Given my rather genteel demeanour overall, I have rarely been able to rationally explain to myself why my body and brain comprehend road signs and directions differently and get me to behave in a manner that one would not normally associate with me. Maybe, it is just in my khoon to question anything that is either limiting, offensive or restrictive or plainly not in my interest.

There are of-course other things as well which are part of my Dilli ka khoon - such as - love for street food & movies, for arguing and criticizing, and for advising all and sundry. But more on that later!

No comments: